Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 23 - Paleo Poor

Due to a few situations, we are facing a Paleo Poor menu this week. Translation: Money is tight and I am scrounging for easy, more less expensive meals. On our weekly trip to the store this weekend we needed to stock up on a lot of staple items which ate up a more than normal amount of our allotted grocery money. And, we are making a bit of a sacrifice in the food department this week so I can take my sweet little soon-to-be first grader on a special night out to a hotel. We are entering into the world of "big school" and I wanted to do something special, just the 2 of us. We are going to spend the night at the Wynfrey (Galleria) and have a fun dinner together followed by shopping for her first-day-of-school outfit. We are both more than excited!

On to tonight's dinner. I went to the cabinet to see what we had. And I found in the back some can's of Salmon!! So, I flipped through my Everyday Paleo cookbook and found her Wild-Salmon Salad. Mitch was coming home late, so it is actually a perfect simple, dinner for us tonight.

Ingredients:
4 cups mixed greens
2 cans wild-caught salmon
1/3 cup roasted red peppers, diced (I used jarred)
1 avocado, diced
4 tbsp slivered almonds (left the out. we didn't have these in stock)
3 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tbsp. dried dill
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Black pepper to taste

Combine the salmon, peppers, avocado, and dill in a bowl. Serve over mixed greens. Top with almonds, dill, evoo, and vinegar.














Mitch liked this dish more than me, but I liked it enough to have it again. If you need a quick, healthy meal that is a little different this is for you! As for the Paleo challenge, everything is still going great. I'm eating well, exercising often, and really hoping I can place in the top 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment