Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 26, 27 AND 28 - I promise i'm still on the paleo wagon!

These past 3 days have been a whirlwind, hence the lack of posting. Friday was the day we found out who N's teacher was going to be and who was in her class. Immediately after, she and I left for a special night away to celebrate the beginning of school. I got to spend the night with this special little girl and had her all to myself. We laughed, shopped, giggled, talked, and snuggled. Priceless.

















I kept it Paleo in the midst of the fun, eating a Salmon Salad for dinner and sat and watched as N indulged in a yummy, sprinkle-covered ice cream cone.

We came home mid-morning on saturday and I turned around and headed back out the door to stock up on groceries. For dinner saturday night we had Turkey Chili with Cabbage Lime Slaw and guacamole (recipe compliments of my friend Joy).

Turkey Chili:
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 to 1 cup tomato salsa (with no sugar added) - recipe calls for 1/2c. but I like it with a little more
1 firm-ripe tomato, rinsed, cored, and chopped
1 can diced green chilies (I left these out - they make it too spicy for my taste)
1/2 c. chopped cilantro
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. pepper
salt to taste

1. in a large non-stick skillet over high heat, stir turkey, garlic, oil, bell pepper, and onion. Break meat apart with a spoon and cook until juices evaporate and the turkey is lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
2. Add salsa, tomato, chilies, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, and pepper. Stir often until the flavors are blended, about 10 minutes.












3. Serve on top of Cabbage Lime Slaw












Cabbage Lime Slaw:
Thinly slice purple cabbage and toss 2 cups with juice from one lime. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.

And lastly, today...Today we spent a total of 7 hours in the car driving to Atlanta and back to visit family. I made sure to pack a cooler full of all things Paleo and had a great food day on-the-go. Lots of egg whites, blueberries, salad, carrots, an apple, and a primal pac. And I got my 4 mile run in before we left which definitely helped me cope with sitting on my fanny for so long!!
There are only 12 days before this challenge is over. I am going to do everything I can to make these last days count, giving it 110%. I am so excited! In it to win it!!

1 comment: