Thursday, August 4, 2011

Days 24 and 25 - A New Chicken Recipe

For some reason these past 2 days have come and gone so quickly! Yesterday, day 24, was a great day. I feel like I am reaping the benefits of eating 100% Paleo and I have honestly never felt better. The workout last night was quick and tough, but I feel like I am improving each time I walk in that door. And I can certainly see changes in my body which is pretty fun, too. There are only 15 days left in the challenge and I started thinking last night that I wish it were longer. I am one who needs that accountability, who needs something to shoot for. I have loved doing this challenge and an opportunity to win some great stuff has helped me push a little harder, spent a little more time cooking, and motivated me to reach my fullest potential. I do have a few goals on the calendar once the challenge is over on the 19th, but if anyone wants some accountability, you know where to find a partner!

I haven't done much differently during my daytime eating. I have my usual eggs and coconut for breakfast. I have LOVED the pesto chicken salad and made more on monday to have around this week. I had it yesterday for lunch over a big bed of spinach and some tomatoes on top. Today, I used it as a "dip" for my carrots and had it along with a large bowl of steamed squash and zucchini.

Tonight for dinner I made another recipe from Everyday Paleo. I made it several weeks ago (pre-challenge) and it made the list of things to make again. I did make a note for myself to double the recipe, so I took those notes to heart and made extra. It is a big yummy bowl of coconut curry deliciousness that I had to make myself stop eating!! This is the closest thing to a casserole that I have had in months!

Chicken Dive-In:

Ingredients:
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
6 cups broccoli florets, cut up into bite-sized pieces
2 cups sliced mushrooms (we love mushrooms!!)
1 cup onion, finely diced
2 c. canned coconut milk (full-fat)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. curry powder
2 tsp. smoked paprika (I didn't have smoked, just used regular. They sell smoked paprika at Penzey's)
slivered almonds (didn't have these so they were left off)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350.
Place the chicken breasts in a saucepan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fill the saucepan with water, just until the breasts are covered.
Bring chicken and water to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the water with tongs and set aside.
Add the broccoli to the same water and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Drain the broccoli (and save the broth for another meal if you wish)
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl
Add the broccoli, mushrooms, onions, coconut milk and spices and mix well.
Pour into a 9X13 casserole dish, sprinkle with slivered almonds, and cook for 30 minutes at 350.

This amount we made tonight was enough for all of us (a very large portion for the hubby) and leftovers for tomorrow. Yay!



No comments:

Post a Comment