Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 14 - Day of REST!

Today has been a great off day for me. Everyone slept in until 7:30, so that was a great start of the day for sure. Mitch went on a 45 mile bike ride this morning, so while he was gone and the kids were engrossed in their Legos I decided to tackle making homemade mayo and homemade chicken salad. The mayo was much easier than I had anticipated and turned out good. I tried a recipe from Everyday Paleo for this batch and I think I will venture out and try another one next time. This is the recipe that I made:

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 cups olive oil (not virgin or extra virgin, just pure olive oil)
1 tsp. yellow mustard
2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/3 tsp. cayenne pepper
Directions:
In a blender, add eggs, mustard and cider vinegar and blend together well. Leave the blender running and very vey slowly drop or drizzle (SLOW!) the oil into the blender. Be Patient. It will take a while for the mixture to thicken. When it does begin to emulsify or thicken, only then can you speed up pouring the oil in, BUt still take your time. Turn off the blender once all the oil is in and mayo has reached desired thickness. Add the salt and cayenne pepper and mix well or blend again for another few seconds.

And for the chicken salad, this was my first go at it. It's not the best i've ever had, but I was good enough to build upon next time. I love finely shredded chicken salad and the consistency was spot on. This is how I made it:

Ingredients:
3 tbsp. of mayo from recipe above
4 chicken breasts, boiled
1 tsp. salt
1 small apple, diced
pepper to taste
Directions:
I put all ingredients into the vitamix and blended on low (setting 2) for about 1 minute. The chicken was finely shredded and everything blended perfectly. Next time I will try a different mayo and add in celery, grapes, and maybe a few nuts.

For dinner tonight, we had our usual Rotisserie Chicken from WF along with a repeat of last week, the Zucchini Pasta Salad. This week, though, I have a picture! So delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment